WHAT IS TIME LAPSE PHOTOGRAPHY?
Time-lapse is that where a camera takes a sequence of pictures of a subject with an interval of time between each pictures. The interval can vary from less than a second to a day or more. Time-lapse photography is a cinematography technique in which the intervals at which film frames are captured is much slower than that which will be used to play the sequence back. Time-lapse photography can be considered the opposite of high speed photography i.e. slow motion photography.
Camera: you can do the time lapse sequence with most of the cameras but the digital format has made the process simpler. With the digital SLRs you can take large number of frames and also these have the ability to see as a movie with computer.
Tripod: A vital equipment to avoid camera movement by setting up the camera in a fixed position. While taking a time-lapse it is important to ensure that your camera does not move.
Batteries: Always keep good batteries with you especially when you are time lapsing outdoors. time lapse photography may vary from a second to a day or more so always carry an additional battery pack with you and avoid missing the sequence of pictures due to drained out batteries. Carrying good battery pack with you will also help you to change your camera battery without removing the camera from the tripod. Its important that the camera does not shift.
IMPORTANT TIPS FOR TIME LAPSE PHOTOGRAPHY:
1. FINDING THE MOST SUITABLE LOCATION: The process always starts with finding the best location for doing time lapse photography. Always plan your shoot where you want to make the time lapse. You need to get know of the weather conditions, as well as be aware of anyt other detail that might prove to be an advantage for you
2. Gear: after you are done with scouting the location for your time lapse take a test sequence till the time you get the feeling of what will be the best angle for your shoot. This will help you to understand what exactly you want to capture. Decide what lens you want to carry, it is not wise to carry only one lens with you because it might happen that you may notice something and a different lens may be required for that. Carry more than one battery so that you don't run out of power.
3. Manual mode ON : The most important thing everything should be done manually . You need to set everything manually on the camera not a single thing left to work automatically. Set you white balance to custom instead of auto. Same goes for shutter speed , aperture, ISO and Focus. Manual focus is must because you can't have your camera to refocus after every shot you take.
Shoot in MANUAL mode If the Light is relatively constant
4. ALWAYS SHOOT ON RAW: The second most important thing is to shoot on RAW. You can't always have everything done perfectly. Shooting on RAW will give the best flexibility if needed at the time of post processing and thus helps you retain the best picture quality. The end result will be good.
5. ANTICIPATE THE MOVEMENT : Anticipate the movement of your subject try to find out what will be the next movement of your subject in coming hour or minute and according to that set your camera so that the movement that happens as the time passes is captured in your frame.